Saturday, January 20, 2007

Moments

My school has recently moved down to belltown. As a result I now take the bus from Everett to Pikes Place Market. This gets me with in a mile of my school. Needless to say I have been walking more than I have been accustumed. Walking through Pikes Place can be a religious experence at times. I was coming out of this really good tabaco shop and in the hall way, just as you are about to walk outside, there was a pigeon picking up crums from a near by bakery. Standing right by the pigeon was a man snacking on his recently purchased pastrey. Back lit by the slightly veiled sun and framed by the passing crowd behind them. In the reflection of the floor you saw the shadowy images of both them and the crowed rippleing like water. The man had a mild look on his face. Not one of ammusement or even interest in the pigeon but he look and observed the pigeon as he took a bite of his pastery. Now that I think of it the look was an interesting one, when walking downtown city hustle and bustle gets ignored. People handing out fliers, sidewalk evangelists, people coming and going, a woman running to catch the bus, all these things and this man stops for a few moments and looks a pigeon. I am sure that both him and the pigeon frequent that particular bakery, he didn't seem suprised at the presence of the bird, but indifferently observed it anyway. When I saw what was going on I have never had a stronger urge to take a picuter. This is not a urge that come over me regularly but it felt like a moment that was worth capturing. I was observing another person having a moment, which in itself was a moment for me. I leaned against the wall book in hand and took it in for a bit and then was on my way back into the flow of the poeple which took me down stream to my school and on through the rest of my day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home