Saturday, May 19, 2007

Yeah, who isn't...



Jerry Falwell was not one of my favorite people on the planet. In fact, most of my papers during my first year in seminary were written in an effort to tear down what he had built. But for all the criticism that he got, this one is the most ironic. Take this clip for example.



The family guy clip was laying out the criticism that Falwell's message was entirely about hate and now the church has produced someone that is more about hate than Falwell himself. I don't think that Falwell was entirely about hate but I certainly believe that Phelps is. In that sense I guess I wish the writers at Family Guy had waited to play that card when it was more approperate.

When I did hear of Falwell's death I mourned his death in a way I felt was appropriate for mourning someone whom I didn't agree with and whose legacy is going to be the bane of my existence for the next five decades.

But when Phelps passes I am not sure if I will be able to muster the grace I had for Falwell.